Monday, February 18, 2008

Omaha Film Festival 2008 - Days 1 and 2


I don't even know where to begin, this weekend was the kick-off of the Omaha Film Festival. The screen writing conference. This is the third year of O.F.F. but only the second time they have had the educational piece. I was again asked to pick up one of the drivers and get him to the conference. I was honored and surprised - the last time was really interesting, but that's another story. This time I was picking up and driving Jeff Kitchen around. He was really a nice guy, and I do have some stories, but I am thinking that I will add them in another note. I actually was driving him to and from the hotel more than I had expected, so I had quite a few conversations with him. The other one I was able to drive to the hotel on Saturday night and then I picked him up again on Sunday, was Josh Stolberg. Wow, talk about an interesting guy, but again, I will save that for a different post.

Sunday was another early day, Jeff Kitchen gave a presentation on how to write a screenplay which was really interesting, and a different way to look at it. One of the things that I found so interesting about it, is that he said that following his steps first is the way to go and then you can insert the dialogs. I know it's going to be worth a try as I continue in my efforts to try and learn to write screenplays.

I missed the presentation that Lew Hunter gave. I also missed the session with Jon Bokenkamp (I did get to see the Q & A session that he gave with Josh on Saturday). I was running Jeff to his hotel to pack and then to the airport. He gave me a copy of his book as a thank you, which was pretty cool. I had purchased it from him the day before, but the thought was very kind and it does look like a good learning tool.

Last night was the a movie presentation of Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang and Shane Black was there for a Q & A session after the movie. I had never seen the movie and I really can't understand why. I enjoy Val Kilmer and love Robert Downey, Jr. It was a fun session and interesting to get to hear his take, again another post.

Tonight the festival actually starts with the movies - they are showing a movie Sleepwalking which I am not sure I will get to see as it is the only showing of it, and I am actually working the festival tonight. Then their is a little first night party following it, which I am looking forward to. I am expecting a Whole Lotta Tired this week, but I can hardly wait. Hope to see you there.

No comments: