Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps

Congratulations and thank you Michael Phelps!!!



I have been totally involved in the Olympics this year and I haven't completely understood why. But I love it. I tear up every time some one wins, I tear up every time someone fails, and I am so invested this year.

I think for me, I love that the Olympics offer us the ability to dream. I think that is what Michael Phelps has done for me - he has taken me back to my childhood - when Mark Spitz was earning his golds. I remember that we were glued to the set - we were drawn together as a nation, but more than that - I believed that I could do whatever I set my mind to do. I was encouraged to dream - to reach for my highest aspirations and dream.

Thank you Michael Phelps for reminding me of that enthusiasm! Congrats on all your GOLD.

2 comments:

heelers said...

It's been the Phelps Olympics in many ways.
Just as long as it's not a Win At All Costs Olympics too.
James

spilled ink said...

Hmmmm...Is that they way it is coming across in other countries - adn I guess I am wondering what would happen that would make it 'win at all costs?' I look back over the years and it seems that there is always someone who stands out - Nadia, Mary Lou, Mark Spitz, Greg Louganis? For me, I don't think it takes away from the Olympics, but I wonder if it does for others?